Soon after the data breaches in 2016, Yahoo launched its Account Key feature that flaunted everything online users could ask for to safeguard their account. This was one of the biggest steps that the tech giant could take to protect its users’ accounts, to ensure their safety, and to thwart any possibility of the data breach.
How Does the Yahoo Account Key Feature Ensure Safety and Security of Yahoo Users?
Since passwords have become a liability (changing regularly and remembering the same can be a tough task), this amazing security feature once enabled allows users to access their account without remembering the password. All they have to do is to give a simple click or tap on the smart device every time you try to access your Yahoo account.
In case, someone tries to get into your account and steal something, you receive a notification on your mobile phone instantaneously. This will help you take the appropriate measures and drive the hackers away from stealing any important information. To get this feature on, you must install the Yahoo Mail app, and be signed in to it.
- Visit the Yahoo Account security page and tap “See how it works”.
- Then tap “Send me a notification” (you will receive a notification on the app)
- Now, tap the “Approve” icon.
- You will be prompted to tap the “Always use Yahoo Account Key” option.
- In the next step, you must confirm your mobile device.
To make the Yahoo Account Key work, sign in the app on your phone.
- Visit the sign-in page of Yahoo and enter your ID.
- Click “Next” (you will receive a notification on the enabled device)
- Open the app and click the “Account Key” icon and tap the “Approve” icon.
- Tap the verification code to confirm and sign in.
Remembering multiple passwords for different online accounts can be quite a task for some. Fortunately, Yahoo account comes with a feature that lets you secure your account with a Yahoo Account Key instead of a password.
Activating Account Key feature will send a notification to your desired mobile device. You will need to just tap on your mobile device to approve access to your account. This way you no more need to remember the password to access your account.
If you are a Yahoo account user and wish to set up Account Key for your Yahoo account, follow the step-by-step instructions provided below.
10 Steps To Set Up Yahoo Account Key
1.) Log into your Yahoo account and click on your Profile Picture located on the upper-right corner of your Yahoo account’s webpage. A drop-down menu will appear.
2.) From the drop-down menu that appears on your, click on the Account info option. This will direct you to the Account info page.
3.) Under the Account info page, select the Account security option.
4.) Under the Account security page, click on the See how it works button.
5.) Next, select your desired mobile device and app on which you wish to get notified for the Account Key.
6.) On the next screen, click on the Send me a notification option. A notification will be sent to your chosen mobile device and on the app.
7.) Then, simply tap on the Approve icon (right icon) on your mobile device to approve access to your account.
8.) After that, click on the option Always use Yahoo Account Key on your web browser.
9.) Next, confirm your mobile number on the subsequent screen.
NOTE: Confirming the mobile number helps in case you are unable to access your device.
10.) The Account Key feature will get activated for your Yahoo account. You can then use Account Key from the next time to get access to your account.
5 Steps to Use Yahoo Account Key
Follow the below-mentioned steps to use Yahoo Account Key.
1.) Go to the Yahoo sign-in page on your web browser.
2.) Enter your Yahoo ID in the prompted field and click on the Next button.
3.) Yahoo will send a notification to the mobile device for which you would have activated Account Key.
4.) On your mobile device, tap on the notification sent by Yahoo and touch the Approve icon (right icon).
5.) Alternatively, you can open the application and tap on the Account Key icon and then on the Approve icon.
NOTE: Sometimes, you may be prompted to enter or tap on the verification code to confirm.
How to Manage Yahoo Account Key
From a web browser
• On your web browser, go to the Yahoo Account security page.
• Click on the Manage option for “Yahoo Account Key”.
• Next, click on the toggle icon located on the right-hand side of a device you wish to enable or disable.
• Alternatively, you can click on the Disable Account Key option located at the bottom section to switch back to a password system.
From a Yahoo mobile app
• Tap on the Menu icon in your Account Key enabled the application.
• Next, select the Account Key icon.
• Then, tap on the Manage Account Key option.
• After that, tap on the toggle (right) for the device which you wish to enable or disable.
• Alternatively, you can tap on the Disable Account Key option located at the bottom of the screen to use a password system for accessing your account.
So, this is how you can set up, use, and manage Account Key in your Yahoo account.
How to Turn the Yahoo Account Key off?
At any point, you can turn off the Account Key feature and switch back your account to the old password mode. You can disable Account Key both from a web browser and a Yahoo mobile app.
Turn off Yahoo Account Key from a Web Browser –
- Visit the Yahoo Account security page
- You will see the Yahoo Account Key option. By it, you will find the “Manage” option.
- At the bottom, you will see Disable Account Key. Click on it as it will help you switch back to a password.
- Click the toggle to turn on or off (optionally)
Turn off Yahoo Account Key from a Yahoo Mobile App –
- Tap the “Menu” icon and then tap the “Account Key” icon.
- Now, you need to click on the “Manage Account Key” option and then “Disable Account Key”. Click on it as it will help you switch back to a password.
- Click the toggle to turn on or off (optionally)
When you get tired of remembering multiple passwords, you can switch back to the Account Key option. This will let you use your phone instead of the old password. You can approve access with just a simple tap on your enable device. That’s it.
If you need assistance to enable or disable the Yahoo Account Key or any kind of technical or security assistance, you can reach out to the Yahoo customer support team. The industry-trained professionals will provide the best solution within no time.
If you want more information, call our Yahoo Customer Support Toll Free Number for 24/7.