Hotmail is now Microsoft’s Outlook. Any suspicious activity (unfamiliar emails in your ‘Sent’ folder or unauthorized purchase from your account) in your Hotmail account indicates possibilities of account hack.
Let your family, friends, and other contacts know that your account is compromised so that they stop communication with that account. Try the below-mentioned methods to recover your hacked account according to your situation.
Recover Hacked Hotmail Account
If you can log in then you need to first change your password
This option can be used only if you can log in to your account. Follow the steps given below:
- Click the gear icon on the top right corner in your account.
- Click on ‘More Mail Settings’ from the drop-down.
- On the ‘Options’ page, select ‘Account details (password, addresses, time zone)’ option under ‘Managing your account’ head.
- Click on ‘Change password.’
- On the form that appears, enter your current password and create a new password. Enter it twice to confirm. Keep a strong password.
- Click ‘Save’ to apply changes.
- Log-in again to verify the changes.
- Look for ways to increase your account security.
Microsoft can lock your account if it suspects any suspicious activities. Follow the steps below to unlock your account:
- Go to the official Hotmail/outlook login page.
- Click on the ‘Forgot my password’ link.
- Select from the three listed options and click ‘Next.’
- Enter your complete email address that is locked.
- Enter the Captcha characters and click ‘Next.’ If you don’t understand the Captcha, use ‘New’ or ‘Audio’ option.
- Select an option to receive security code and click ‘Next.’
- If you can’t access any of the recovery options, choose ‘I don’t have access to any of these.’
- You will be redirected to ‘Recover your Microsoft Account’ page. Provide alternate email id and move to the next step.
- Reset your password through the ‘Password Reset’ form. Click ‘Next’ to complete the process.
- You can now access your Hotmail account.
- Once you have regained access to your account, change the password of other accounts linked with the hacked account. If you were using the same password with other online services, change their password too.
- Use the latest version of Windows to make sure you have access to the latest security features.
- Use an effective anti-virus program.
- Don’t download files from unverified sources and be cautious about sharing your personal information over the web.
Haven’t gained access to the Hotmail account? Contact Hotmail technical support service team for assisting you in the recovery process.